The lone figure stood at the intersection of Washington and Prince streets in Old Town for 131 years. Known as the Appomattox Statue, it was first dedicated in 1889. Slated to be relocated next month, the statue was quietly removed during the early morning hours of June 2 to an undisclosed location by its owners, the United Daughters of the Confederacy. According to the Alexandria Gazette Packet, "The bronze sculpture by M. Caspar Buberl depicts the form of a lone Confederate soldier viewing his defeated comrades in the aftermath of the battle of Appomattox Court House. The stone base bears the names of those from Alexandria who died during the Civil War. The Appomattox Statue is unusual in that it is a privately owned statue located on public land. Following its dedication on May 24, 1889, the United Confederate Veterans, the organization that originally commissioned the statue, petitioned the Virginia House of Delegates that same year to have it protected by state law." As per Alexandria Gazette Packet, "Although City Council voted unanimously in 2016 to move the statue to another location, prevailing law at the time required approval from the General Assembly for the relocation of the Appomattox Statue along with other war memorials throughout the state. A bill passed by the legislature and signed by Gov. Ralph Northam (D) earlier this year removed those protections, giving authority over memorials to local jurisdictions. That law goes into effect on July 1."